Deon shares on the creative process, mentorship, “Hope Music” & more. | @ThatDudeDeon

Prolific composer, Gospel sensation and member of the new school – Deon Kipping – has unleashed a marvelous sophomore project entitled – Something To Talk About – which sums up the sentiment and theme of this terrific new album.
 
 
The 15-track collection of carefully crafted songs by the symphonic maestro delivers a delightful sonic blow that’s noteworthy.  With a progressive project now on the marketplace that’s both fresh and next-frontier, BlackGospel.com decided that both the artist and the album were definitely something to discuss for 5 good minutes.
 
 
Christopher Heron: Congratulations on the release of your sophomore project. How satisfying is it to finally give birth and bless others with your artistry?
 
 
Deon Kipping 2016
Deon Kipping
Deon Kipping: It’s amazing to see the response that the album is getting. I just think that, in this climate with everything going on, to put out something I call ‘hope music’, I’m just grateful God gave me the gift to do that.  So, I’m very happy.
 
 
Christopher Heron: I love the title, Something To Talk About. Why was this song the perfect billboard for your new album?
 
 
Deon Kipping: The title of the song comes from a story in the Bible where Jesus heals a blind boy, but before He heals the boy the disciples asked him, ‘’What did this boy do to be blind?’’ And He responds by saying, ‘’This boy is blind so that I can be glorified.’’  I know the disciples were talking about the boy because he was healed…word travels fast.
 
 
Basically, people will talk about you when you do bad, when you do good, the highs and lows.  At the end of it, your life is something that will give God glory, so that’s what this record is about, understanding that everything you go through,  people will talk, and it’s all to give God glory.
 
 
Christopher Heron: What is your creative process for writing and producing songs?
 
 
Download “Something To Talk About” by Deon Kipping
from Amazon or iTunes or Google Play
 
Deon Kipping: Every song is different, every song comes from a different place, but what inspires me is life. I’ve seen a lot of things in my lifetime. I know people that have gone through things in their lifetime that I’ve had the opportunity to see. I just look at lives and start writing songs and jotting down ideas. There are songs that I’ve sang into my phone that haven’t been heard yet. I get songs in the shower, when I’m riding in the car, the creative process is different for every song. I can’t really pinpoint it but at the end of the day, I’m grateful to be able to write ‘hope music’ that’s changing lives.
 
 
Christopher Heron: As a Gospel artist, what is your spiritual exercise or diet, to match the kind of power and favor that you want over this album?
 
 
Deon Kipping 2016
Deon Kipping
Deon Kipping: Definitely a lot of praying, there’s also a lot of fasting. A lot of prayers were stored up for me through my grandparents who’ve been praying over me for years. They taught me to study a lot. At the end of the day, you have to study the Word, you have to study the reason why you do what you do. Some people are just singing, some people are just preaching, some of us don’t really know why we do what we do.
 
 
At the end of the day, I try hard to understand why I do this, why I believe in Jesus so much. I’m seeking, I’m learning, I’m growing. You just can’t wake up in the morning and just do this. You have to put effort into reading the Word. There’s so much that goes into my spiritual diet. I stay hungry. I want to learn more, I want to grow more.
 
 
Christopher Heron: Your music is very commercial, definitely crossover. You describe it as ‘hope music’.  Have you considered producing music and songs that are for artists from other genres?
 
 
Deon Kipping: Definitely. I started out in this industry working with artists like Mary J Blige and Angie Stone and Mario. I love music. My grandfather always told me that whatever genre of music that I did, just always put God first and don’t write songs that your grandparents would not be able to listen to. I do believe in writing for all genres of music. If Celine Dion called me today to write a song, I would write for her and if Kirk Franklin called me to write a song, I would definitely do so. I know God has given me this gift to create music not to just make money but to change people’s lives around the world, through any genre. 
 
 
Christopher Heron: Well, you’re clearly a veteran in the music industry. What are three valuable lessons you’ve learned to be a successful artist?
 
 
Deon Kipping: First, I would say study. Study those artists and songwriters that came before you, study your craft. I listen to Marvin Winans and Andrae Crouch. I studied how they wrote their songs; how they approached the music.
 
Deon Kipping 2016
Deon Kipping
Secondly, know exactly why you’re doing this. This is not the time to make crazy money, record sales are different today, you can get discouraged. You have to know why you’re in music. Some people get caught up in the glitz and glam of what they see on TV and social media. If you’re doing music, you have to know that this is to glorify God, you’re doing this to change lives, you’re doing this to make a difference in this world.
 
 
Finally, I think that everyone needs mentorship. You need people that have gone before you to help give you guidance. I have people I can call like Kirk Franklin, people that have had success and some disappointments. They can tell you stories of what they’ve gone through, so that you can relate. There are a lot of people that want to do this but they have no understanding how hard it gets. I attach myself to people that have had hard times in this industry so that I can learn the lessons that they learned. Those are my three lessons. Attach yourself to great people, study, and know why you’re doing this.
 
 
Christopher Heron: When you create ‘hope music’ is it intended for you to express an emotion or an experience to the listener or is it about bringing the listener into the presence of God or is it a little bit of both?
 
 
Deon Kipping: It’s definitely a little bit of both. I think that at the end of the day, we are relational in the sense that there are people that have gone through the same things that I’ve gone through and we share that common ground, that kind of relationship. Telling you what I’ve gone through, I relate it to God because the reason I’m standing here and able to write songs is because of Him, which connects these songs back to God. I just think that I’m pursuing God in my writing and talking about my life. I’m also trying to lead people into the presence of God. There’s no way possible that this could all be about me. It has to be about Him.
 
 
For more information on the album, Something To Talk About, and to contact Deon Kipping, visit the official website at www.deonkipping.com.

Comments